I’ve not written much up from last week’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona yet, but one piece of news that I did see was that Handmark is launching a European version of its popular Pocket Express application. To reach as much of the European market as possible they’re also making it available in eight languages – English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Finnish, and Swedish.
The application offers, quick, simple, and FREE updates on news, sports, weather, stocks and shares and business story updates. They have relationships with everyone from Reuters and the BBC through to Agence France Press and various other content providers. It’s free to download on http://www.pocketexpress.eu and apparently it even comes with its own Mobile Concierge service.
I haven’t had chance to have a play with the service, but from the images it looks pretty good. It’s available across a range of the most popular Nokia, Sony Ericcson, Motorola and Samsung phones and they will be adding to the list (including Blackberry and iPhone) through the year.
It’s great to see a US player coming into Europe in this way. Many people that have conquered the US, not surprisingly, look at Europe and get scared – small individual markets, different handset preferences and perhaps worst of all a lots of different operators and different languages.
I remember working with the games publisher iFone and the issues they had porting games across a variety of handsets, operators and languages – it’s amazing how many varieties you have to produce when you start to multiply all those variables together.
But Handmark has done and well done to them. As Paul Reddick, CEO of Handmark says:
“We have established a popular mobile service millions of people in North America rely on every day for accessing the content they need to stay informed and entertained on their mobile device. We are excited to introduce Pocket Express with local content for mobile users throughout Europe so they too can enjoy a better mobile experience regardless of what language they speak.”
Some of the key elements of the service include:
– More than 300 customisable news categories.
– Up-to-the-minute sports scores and statistics for hundreds of teams and leagues.
– Weather and ski forecasts for virtually any location in the world.
– International stock information from virtually all major North American and European exchanges, including NYSE, NASDAQ, London Stock Exchange, Euronext Paris, and Milan Stock Exchange.
– Real-time flight status and schedules for nearly all major airlines and airports around the world.
– Content provided by the world’s most trusted content providers including the Associated Press (AP), Agence France-Presse (AFP), AccuWeather.com, Dow Jones, and OAG.
– A “Store” that features popular, high-quality games and applications from top-tier developers, including Capcom, I-Play, Reset Games, and Mobifusion, Inc.
– Optimised data usage as it “caches” the information you have already used instead of refreshing all the information.
If you’re interested go to www.pocketexpress.eu to download it.